Gas Blast in
Navy Man, Wife
Forrest D. Harris, chief commissary steward on the U.S.S. Saratoga, was critically burned and his wife, Annabelle, suffered minor burns in a fire which followed a gas explosion in their apartment at 2121 Atlantic Avenue last night. Harris lighted a cigarette in the kitchen of the apartment, which was followed by a terrific explosion, which set fire to his clothing and to the apartment.
Critically burned over a large part of his body Harris fought his way outside by breaking the glass of the door. His wife, who had retired in a rear bedroom, was burned about the hands and face.
R. W. McMillan, a friend, entered the apartment soon after the explosion and found two gas jets on the range open, he told police. Apparently, the jets were blown open by the force of the explosion. Considerable damage was done to the apartment, both by the explosion and the fire which followed the explosion and which the fire department extinguished.
Harris and his wife were taken to Seaside Hospital, where attending physicians say he has a chance to recover.
The Long Beach Sun 36(56):1 Monday, August 22, 1932
for Sailor Killed
in Gas Explosion
Funeral rites for Forrest Delmar Harris, 34, chief commissary steward of the U.S.S. Saratoga, who died Monday as a result of burns received in a gas explosion in his Long Beach home, will take place tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. at Cleveland Garden chapel.
Apparently unaware that there was escaping gas in the room, Harris in attempting to light a gas jet, struck a match and the explosion which followed severely burned his entire body. He was rushed to the U.S.S. Relief for medical aid and died shortly after the accident.
Harris is survived by his wife Annabelle, Long Beach, five brothers and a sister who reside in the east. Chaplain Wood of the U.S.S. Saratoga will officiate at the funeral service. Interment will take place at the Soldiers Home cemetery in West Los Angeles.
San Pedro News-Pilot 5(148):5 Thursday, August 25, 1932
Hosted and Published by Weldon Hoppe