Centennial History Book
Every community has cherished REMINISCENCES
EARLY HISTORY OF PLEASANT RIDGE
by Mabel Baxter
Taken from The Farnam Echo, 1936
In the year of 1885 District 30 school was organized by Mrs. Noyes, county superintendent. A sod house was built and used five years before the present frame one was built on the same location.
The following men with their families homesteaded and lived in sod houses and were responsible for organizing the school, which was named Pleasant Ridge: W. E. Palmer, whose wife now resides at Famam, Jake Walker, a homesteader, who was also a well digger and mason, Lon Kelly, John Gerletts, John Andrews, Lee Miller, Mr. Luth, Mr. Hice, George Force, "Shorty" Howard, Levi Dunbar, Mr. Nelson and Joshua Palmer.
Forty some pupils attended this school. The school house was also used as a Baptist church and a place to hold singing school and literary.
G. W. Todd bought the W. E. Palmer homestead in 1893, where he now lives. His daughter, Vella Herndon, still lives in District 30.
G. W. Herndon bought the Bennetts place in 1907 and lived in a sod house. Mr. and Mrs. Herndon still live on that place. Their son, Lewis Herndon, still lives in District 30.
Andrew Harbert bought the Levi Dunbar homestead in 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Harbert reside on the same place now. Their son, Edgar, is a resident in District 30.
Will Walther moved on the place his father purchased from M. T. Ward, a homesteader, who later run the Stockville central. Mr. and Mrs. Walther still occupy the same place.
Mr. and Mrs. Roy Welch occupy the farm where the father of Mr. Welch bought of Mr. Hice a number of years ago. Mr. Welch was a long time resident in District 30.
Mr. and Mrs. Lester Taylor live on the farm that was occupied a number of years by Thomas Taylor now of Curtis.
Thomas Taylor bought the John Andrews tree claim in early days.
J. C. Palmer, son of Joshua Palmer is the only son of a homesteader, who now lives in District 30. Mr. and Mrs. Palmer bought the place they still occupy in 1903 and have been continuous residents since that time.
Other early settlers have come and gone who were residents for several years in District 30, but did not leave descendants or continue to hold their land here.