Centennial History Book
Every community has cherished REMINISCENCES
HISTORY OF BOSTON RIDGE COMMUNITY
by Mabel Baxter
J. C. Palmer, early settler in District 30 gives much information concerning his early Boston Ridge neighbors in District 57.
Boston Ridge school received its name because three families from Boston, Massachusetts, Willard Carman, G. Y. Bests and Manblos were among the first to settle on this ridge.
The school was organized in 1885. Mrs. Noyes was county superintendent.
Those helping organize the school were: Charles Woods, G. Y. Bests, the Manblos, Zion Barkers, Ben Marshalls and Willard B. Carman (father of A. B. Carman of Farnam).
The first school house was made of prairie sod and was located a half mile south and a half mile west of the present frame building, created a few years after the sod school house. The community was more thickly settled than now and the school enrollment much larger.
Church services were held both in the sod and frame houses. This continued until near 1915. Revival meetings were held occasionally. Much vocal music was enjoyed.
Most of the folks attended the singing school, also literary at the adjoining school house in District 30.
On Saturday afternoon the baseball fans enjoyed the games on either the diamond on the place now known as the James Fox farm or on the diamond on the quarter joining the James Wilson farm on the south.
The following were homesteaders who lived in sod houses: John Woods, a bachelor, on the Wilson farm known as the Mary Baxter place.
Nick Anderson, a bachelor, on the Charles Davison place. Reverend Sanford Gee, a former cashier in the Stockville bank and was a Baptist preacher with his family homesteaded the James Fox farm.
Herman Glaze, homesteaded the J. C. Palmer quarter in District 57, south of the J. C. Palmer home. This land was broken out by oxen belonging to J. Palmer.
Mr. Marble, a bachelor, homesteaded the place where Wm. Wilson now lives.
Willard B. Carman and family homesteaded the place where James Wilson lives.
G. Y. Best and family homesteaded on the quarter south of James Wilsons.
Zion Barker and family homesteaded the Wilson quarter east of the V. Todd place.
The Manblos, a family who could boast of a part frame, rest sod house homesteaded the Charles Alberts place.
John Reickard homesteaded on the quarter now owned by G. W. Herndon and W. E. Baxter used now as pasture land. Sam McMillan homesteaded on the quarter now owned by Wm. Walther also used now as a pasture.
Willis McTire and family homesteaded on the Vern Todd farm now occupied by Jess Warner.
John Hunter homesteaded on the place now occupied by R. D. Earhart.
John Dunbar put out a tree claim on what is now the Dunkin farm.
Winters Brothers put a tree claim on what is now the Wm. Baxter farm.
Nance Johnson and family homesteaded where their son, Bert, now resides.
Charles Woods homesteaded where his son, John, now lives.
The Johnson and Wood homesteads are the only ones in District 67 where the descendants of homesteaders still occupy them. Mr. Charles Wood, being the only living homesteader. His home is now at North Platte.
Old residents now residing in District 57 are: Mrs. Mable Dunkin, who with her husband, Ben, bought the John Dunbar tree claim in 1900. She is now living there with her son, Jack, and wife.
Bert Johnson is living on his father’s homestead.
John Woods and family is living on the Wood homestead.
Mrs. Wood is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Warner, now residents of Stockville, who were residents in District 57 for nearly 25 years.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Davison who bought the Nick Anderson place and moved on it in 1905.
Mrs. Margaret Wilson came into District 57 in 1903 moving on the farm which she bought of Griers. Her son, William and family, are now living on that farm. Mrs. Wm. Wilson was formerly Margaret Fox, also a resident of District 57.
Mrs. Wilson’s other son, James and family with whom Mrs. Wilson is making her home are living on the Willard B. Carman homestead.
Mr. and Mrs. William Baxter are living on the place they bought in 1906 of the Winters Brothers.
Mr. and Mrs. James Fox of Moorefield were residents in District 57 many years. They bought the Sanford Gee homestead, where their son, Clarence and family now reside.
Harvard Crow, deceased and Steve Foster, now living north of Cambridge, were well known early settlers who run horsepower threshing machines and corn shellers on this ridge.